Saturday, October 16, 2010

Loooooooooooooong Night...

Stress, stress, stress...  We are in the middle of experiencing our first cold with Logan.  It hit him rather suddenly Thursday night and has gotten progressively worse very quickly.  Not to alarm anyone, it does not sound like it's reached his lungs.  It's just a head cold and I knew this day would come eventually, but none the less, I feel like I am a chicken running around with my head cut off wondering WHAT I CAN DO for my child.  We're adding in extra treatments and have decided to revert back to the saline nebs (for the extra ones) rather than giving him more albuterol.  I will tell you, I was very disappointed when I got to Walgreens last night and discovered that Dimetapp is only for ages 4+.  The pharmacist looked at me like I was an idiot when I said I had a 6 month old with a cold what could I do?  She said humidifier and Tylenol.  So, I went home with a humidifier.  We spent the whole night inhaling Vicks, which unfortunately gave Landon a big headache.  Not that we got much sleep anyway, so I suppose the headache could have stemmed from that as well.  Ugh... I don't want to offend anyone or sound like an overly-proud parent, but this really is the FIRST time Logan has kept both of us up all night.  Even as a newborn he would sleep at least 3 hours at a time at night.  By the time he was a month old he was sleeping through the night.  He doesn't cry much, he's very laid back; so to those of you who had difficult infants, I'M SO SORRY!!! 
Well, I guess I'm up for the day now.  Have to babysit the neighbor's kids today so I better buck it up.  Onto the 2nd cup of coffee.  And it's my turn for cpt. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi I just found your blog and have a 3 month old with CF. I hate to tell you this but I was told not to use humidifiers with CF kids because they tend to breed bacteria and then it is pushed out into the air. Sorry I know its hard enough with a sick baby without the added stress of the CF issues. Good luck and i hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post. Yes, I've since been told the same from a lot of other CF mommies. I'm so grateful for the internet and networking! We did pull the humidifier after the first night. Thanks for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We WERE fighting a cold here all last week, but I got it anyway. It's not surprising, I always do but typically for me it goes pretty quickly to my lungs. (Not to be alarmist either!!!) Hopefully Logan will kick it!! I use a Neti Pot (which is much less vile than it sounds....) and I've managed to avoid a chest infection if I use it consistently at the offset of a cold. I know Logan is too young but maybe just the nasal saline stuff might help keep those secretions moving!! This might be a long winter for us, my little ones are going to bring home all those fabulous elementary school germs to share with me.....! I'm stocking up with Costco amounts of liquid hand soap!!

    ReplyDelete