Sunday, October 10, 2010

COOL church day

I had totally forgotten that this was coming up, but Peter Warren, Director of YWAM Denver, was a guest speaker at church this morning.  What a neat opportunity to listen to him talk.  Anyway, some things I took away from the sermon were :
  God commands us to love one another.  You can't command an emotion.  I can't command you to feel angry right now.  I can't command you to like me.  Therefore, the Love that God is talking about is a choice.  Love is a choice we make.  We must choose to love others through our actions and our words; not as an emotion. 
  Something he said also stuck with me.  I don't think it was a Peter Warren quote, but he passed it on.  "Keep your words soft and tender in case you have to eat them"...  haha.  Important words for an over-talking, opinionated me to hear.  Lord knows I put my foot in my mouth more often than I should. 

Also, there were enough babies born in our church recently that they are going to do a baby dedication this month.  Super excited!  I don't believe in baby-baptism because I think that baptism is a choice that each person must make for themselves.  It is an outward expression of an inward faith.  However, dedication is different.  It's more a promise that Landon and I will do our best to raise Logan in a Godly manner and encourage him to walk the narrow path.  Anyway, the point is, Logan's getting dedicated this month.  And I'm very excited about that. 

Downside to church today, there were a lot of young kids in the nursery this morning.  More than usual given the guest speaker; and it sure is flu season.  Made me a bit nervous but everyone in the nursery knows our situation and they are pretty good about separating Logan from the others if necessary.  I have to learn to trust other people to care for him, in love, the way I do.  A task that is NOT EASY for me. 

Speaking of flu season, here's a poll question.  Do I get a flu shot or not?  I've never gotten them before and usually I do just fine.  Last year, I actually contracted the H1N1 virus and was quarantined to my house for like a week.  So, I didn't bother getting the vaccine.  Landon is required to get them because he works in a hospital, and Logan's Dr.s are encouraging me to get one, but I have heard of so many people that GET THE FLU from the vaccine.  And I'd rather not expose my son to the flu if possible.  Especially from me since I can't seem to stop kissing his face.  So... what do I do?  Do I get the vaccine and risk getting sick?  Or do I NOT get the vaccine (like I've done for many years) and also risk getting sick?  Seems like a crappy set of options.  Well, not much more to say today.  Including a recent picture with a new hairstyle we're trying out.  HAHAHA.  I love my kid.  His daddy was not so jazzed about the mousse in his hair

5 comments:

  1. PS - poll at the bottom of the page for your flu vaccine opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd vote yes on your flu situation. The Dr's know your situation, and are giving you advice based on that, so I'd say go with what they would suggest. Just my two cents =) <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say YES on the vaccine. We got them early this year and Ryan and I make everyone who's around Ben for more then 24 hours get one. It's the best thing you can do to protect Logan. I asked my doc about getting the flu after the vaccine and she said that they put the top 3 strains of flu (deadened) into the vaccine. If people get the flu, it means that they caught another, less common, strain. The H1N1 strain is included in the regular flu vaccine this year. The only thing docs don't recommend is you getting the Flumist (nasal spray) because that contains the live virus and you don't want that around Logan. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would get the vaccine for you both. I am doing it next week and I am still pregnant and Emma is also getting hers. I got the H1N1 vaccine last year and have gotten all flu vaccines in the past and have never actually gotten the flu from the vaccine. All you really get is a sore are for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the H1N1 Vaccine when I was pregnant, but not the regular flu one, most vaccines contain a live virus but the ones they give to pregnant woman do not, ask for one without the live virus.

    ReplyDelete